bit is an experimental modernized git CLI built on top of git that provides happy defaults and other niceties:
- command and flag suggestions to help you navigate the plethora of options git provides you
- autocompletion for files and branch names when using
- automatic fetch and branch fast-forwarding reducing the likelihood of merge conflicts
- suggestions work with git aliases
- new commands like
bit syncthat vastly simplify your workflow
- commands from git-extras such as
- fully compatible with git allowing you to fallback to git if need be.
curl -sf https://gobinaries.com/chriswalz/bit | sh; curl -sf https://gobinaries.com/chriswalz/bit/bitcomplete | sh && echo y | COMP_INSTALL=1 bitcomplete
Caveats: GOPATH and GOBIN need to be set. Verify with
go env. If they're not set add this to your .bashrc or .bash_profile etc. AND reset terminal
export GOPATH=$HOME/go export GOBIN=$(go env GOPATH)/bin
GO111MODULE=on go get github.com/chriswalz/[email protected]; GO111MODULE=on go get github.com/chriswalz/bit/[email protected]; COMP_INSTALL=1 bitcomplete; bit
Note: Tab completion only works on Mac, Linux, Ubuntu etc.
Verify installation with:
- iTerm2 (macOS)
- Terminal.app (macOS)
- Command Prompt (Windows)
- gnome-terminal (Ubuntu)
Bit specific command Usage
Create a new commit
bit save [commit message]
Save your changes to the current branch [amends current commit when ahead of origin]
Synchronize your changes to origin branch (Beta)
You have access to ALL git commands as well. 90% of the time the above commands will have you covered.
bit commit -m "I can still use git commands",
bit pull -r origin master
bit switch example-branch
Branch does not exist. Do you want to create it? Y/n
Switched to a new branch 'example-branch'
[Makes some changes]
bit save "add important feature"
[fix an error for important feature]
[push changes to origin]
[two days later confirm your branch is in sync with origin]
- Automatic fetching & fast forwarding to keep your branches up to date and prevent merge conflicts
- Simplify your entire rebase workflow with a single command
- Automatic suggestions at your fingertips
bitis fully compatible with
git. All features of git are available if need be.
Common commands at your finger tips
Commit, bump a tag and push with a single command
Instant git statistics and config information
- Think in the age of the cloud
- Embed the spirit of modern day workflows
- Favor simplicity over complexity
- Bit should have happy defaults
- Bit must be fully compatible with Git