gold-bar is a solid “minimalistic” status bar text generator written in golang.
- Default text output:
Mute Head 20% | WiFi | Discharging 43% | Fri 20 May 2022-W20 14:40:39
- With colors and icons enabled:
- Efficient design with modular independent blocks.
- No configuration file, all settings through command line flags.
- Icon support in different common font types.
- Color support in different formats and themes.
- Setting xsetroot directly instead of printing to standard out.
- It’s no problem if you for example don’t have a wifi card. That block will just display an indicator that it’s empty.
- Attention to detail like:
- Volume block shows active port (headphones/speakers) and updates immediately upon unplugging/plugging in.
- Battery block changes its color and icon when there is little power left.
- Showing week number.
- Mute status for audio.
- Disabled/disconnected differentiation in wifi block.
Usage of gold-bar: -color enable color -colorformat string values: [lemonbar status2d] (default "status2d") -colortheme string values: [nord dracula catppuccin gruvbox light] (default "nord") -icons string values: [text nerd awesome emoji vaportext] (default "text") -rootname set xsetroot instead of printing to standard out (for dwm)
Lemonbar usage example
gold-bar -icons nerd -color -colorformat lemonbar -colortheme catppuccin | lemonbar -p -f "Ubuntu Mono" -f "Symbols Nerd Font" -B "#1E1E28"
dwm usage example
- With dwm you need to use the
gold-bar -icons nerd -color -colorformat status2d -rootname
- NOTE: patch status2d needs to be installed for color support.
Autostarting the program
- Add the gold-bar command (with your preffered flags) to .xinitrc or another similar type of file.
- Don’t forget to put a
&at the end to ensure it runs in the backround and does not halt your system startup.
gold-bar -rootname &
Make it stop running
pkill -x "gold-bar"
Note: gold-bar relies on the go package “pulseaudio” written by mafik
Note: pulse audio needs to be installed for audio block to work
- It works perfectly with pipewire if pipewire-pulse is installed.
git clone https://github.com/simtd/gold-bar.git
sudo make install
sudo make uninstall
Not implemented yet
- Block showing backlight level (event based).
- Skip some pulse audio events in volume.go.
- Replace fmt call in main loop with something more efficient.
- Battery block should work with multiple batteries.
- Currently all block except audio are updating on a set timer. Move them over to event based instead.
- Remove external dependencies.
- Option to show wifi name.
- A few more blocks would be nice.